Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Staying Strong in Eastern Oregon



I broke my vegan diet. This photo shows me right after I ate the poor little pig and chicken egg that gave their lives so I could be strong and not wither away.
I look pretty happy right? Yes. I was happy because I've been starving on most of this trip and I was finally full. It's only because I have a freakish metabolism. If I were normal I think I could do this trip vegan. I haven't weighed myself but I'm sure I've lost at least 10lbs. Catie said I was beginning to look gaunt and thin. So, I rationalized it this way. It would take about 10 orders of hash browns to get the same amount of calories as was in one breakfast special of a pancake, 2 strips of bacon, and two eggs and several cups of coffee.
But don' t you think for a minute that I won't be vegan the moment I step back in Portland.
I'm only planning on eating bacon and eggs. Bacon, because it's so good and exactly how I remember it tasting. And eggs, well, because they're usually served with bacon and it's cheaper to order them together than al la carte.
Catie and I survived a vicious windstorm the other night. I thought we were going to blow away. I read in the paper today that the Storm had winds of 50mph. Jeez. no wonder I couldn't sleep. It still didn't keep us from biking 80 miles the next day.
That's all for now.
Thanks for the comments chad + caleb.
More to come soon.
Cheers.
Dave

2 comments:

Joseph Bergantine said...

dave,
I broke my vegetarian diet when I started mountain biking...was a cheeseburger that did it.

panosliza said...

Hi Dave and Catie (Puffer and Puffette)

Hi Catie the girls heard you got pooped on by a barn owl and Avi asked what you were doing in a barn?. Lizzie said taking a poop silly what do you think.

Avi asked where did you stay in the wind storm? And do you ride in the night?

How are the drivers on the road to you all or do you see many? And how long till you get there they want to know of course......

Love you and take care. The Voulgaris Family.