Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I love Montana!

Dear Everyone,
Wow--it's been awhile since I posted something. While I'm riding I think of all these fun, clever things to write about but by the time I reach a computer I'm usually too tired to remember what I was going to say.
As soon as we crossed the Idaho/Montana border people started waving and smiling and giving thumbs up. It's a super biker friendly state. Two nights ago we happened upon Jackson, Montana, population 38. They have a hotspring and lodge there. It was an incredibly magical place and the perfect way to end the day. As soon as we walked in the door to the lodge, this couple called out to us, "hey! you made it!" they had passed us on the way in on their motorcycle. We had a nice long soak in the hot springs and met this really nice family from Idaho. Overall, an excellent day.

We've been biking a lot these past few days. Yesterday we biked 95 miles from Jackson to Alder. Who knew that I could bike 95 miles in just one day? I feel pretty great about it. It wasn't easy, I had a little break down but we persevered because I realized that even if it was getting dark and even if I was so, so tired, I was still going to make it.

Now we're in Ennis, Montana, just for lunch and checking e-mail. It's a cute little town with an old western theme. The ride in was great because it was this big hill at first followed by 10 miles of down hill. So satisfying. The hills just don't seem as big as they used to. I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath because Colorado is still looming.

Well, I think that's all for now. We're on our way towards Western Yellowstone. We should be in Wyoming by tomorrow! Hope everyone is well.
Love to you all,
Catie

4 comments:

Nick said...

Great update! You'll probably stop noticing the 100 mile days you do when you get out someplace flat.

Also, don't get eaten by bears.

lynn said...

we're enjoying the virtual bike trip, and are very impressed with your mileage! Dan says, Catie you're amazing! Wish we could send you a Haagen Dazs bar! Morris says, Never forget your helmet and never keep your food inside your tent.

chickens and hens said...

catie and dave,

i miss you guys! go team! i am back in portland and now I will join you guys. Virtually only, of course.

love you!

GO said...

Hey Catie sounds like so much fun! I can't believe you are going almost 100 miles a day. What was your favorite part so far?
Have fun, love Abigail