Monday, July 21, 2008

Guess who else got the stomach flu in Wyoming? That's right! Dave did too. We're all about the solidarity on this trip. We spent an extra day in Riverside, Wyoming so Dave could be near a bathroom and have a place to sleep. It's been a few days and we're on the road again but we're taking it slow, taking time to recuperate. So we finally made it out of Wyoming and now we're in beautiful Colorado.

Colorado is very hot but incredibly beautiful. Last night we camped on the Western slope on Willow Creek Pass at about 9,000 feet. I washed my bike clothes in the river because they were getting kind of smelly. By the time I went to bed the bike clothes hadn't dried so I hung them on a line. When we woke up in the morning my spandex were actually frozen. FROZEN. Not frosty, not cold, but frozen.

Tomorrow or the next day we'll summit Hosier Pass which is our final big climb and then sweet, lovely, flat Kansas! Hosier is 11,000 feet. It's the highest pass on the trail. About a month ago I don't think I could possibly imagine being excited about biking over an 11,000 foot mountain but right now I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe it's that's legendary descent waiting for us on the other side that's so inspiring...

Love to you all! Looking forward to seeing Portland soon.
Yours truly,

Catie

2 comments:

lynn said...

poor Catie and Dave.... I can't imagine feeling good about having "only" 40 miles to bike while sick with what you've had. Your spirits sound good though. Keep on keeping on! You're amazing!

Lynn et al.

Maya said...

Wow.You guys didn't factor in the stomach flu (none-the-less frozen bike clothes) into your plans. (Who would?). I hope you both can feel all the way better soon - because, I just can't imagine. It starts sounding like the pioneers... I am SO impressed - even if you didn't have to endure the stomach flu. Sending lots of love (and admiration)
- Maya