Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 4

Made it to dayville. somewhere in eastern Oregon. Catie and I are doing well and apparently ahead of "schedule" by one day.

Tonight we're staying at a Presbyterian church that helps out bicyclists doing the Trans-America. We met a guy named Bob from North Carolina. Nice guy.

All I can say is that this is not a walk in the park. I consider myself a pretty regular cyclist. I bike around town, to work, etc. however, this is for the faint of heart.

Most things in life are more of a mental battle than a physical one. This trip has been no different. If Catie and I didn't have Virginia always on our mind, it would be quite easy to give up and go home.

Last night we stayed at Ochoco Divide State Park, out in the middle of NO WHERE. There was no water. Luckily a RV camper helped us jerry rig the "dry" faucet and water was flowing. WE still purified it just to be on the safe side. While biking on hwy 26 we see a car maybe once every 15-20 minutes. If you've been to "central Oregon" or "remote sections" of Oregon like I thought I had, try coming FAR out east. 50 to 100 miles between towns that have a population of a couple hundred.

My knee is feeling better, but my Achilles tendon is still very sore. I'm glad to be sleeping in doors tonight even if it will be on the pulpit of a Church, to have a hot shower, and to have clean clothes.

Thats all for now. I hope this finds you all doing well.

until then.

cheers,

Dave

2 comments:

sara said...

I rode through that area on my motorcycle and was exhausted. It's a beautiful trip though. It is probably too late but if you've not passed John Day yet you should check out the Chinese Apothecary. It literally looks like they got up one day and walked out the door. Everything is still intact just the way the store used to be. There's lot's of cool little bottles with frog legs and such. Maybe you can hit it on the way back. Just kidding.

Unknown said...

Hi Catie,

Sorry we missed your kickoff. As M&M probably told you, I had to go to a memorial for a friend in California.

Assume you've invested in Advil or some other anti-inflammatory, moleskin, sunblock, etc. Iceing is good for soreness but I don't know where you'd get ice packs on the road. Also remember to s t r e t c h.

What an adventure!

Michael Wells